Thursday, April 16, 2009

RUFFLED FEATHERS

I don't usually get my political feathers ruffled but I did this morning as I read what Jan Napolitano, Secretary of Homeland Security said. She said that War Veterans are potential terrorists and in danger of being recruited by right wing extremists. She defined right wing extremists as those who are pro-life, own a gun or are a war veteran.

Well, my feathers got ruffled, first and foremost because my son served in Iraq for 18 months. He risked his life for the good of others and Homeland Security, a Department for the very country he serves dares to call him a potential terrorist??? I was very upset, my mommy hairs on the back of my neck were standing straight up! I am so proud of my son and the men and women of this country who have served in foreign wars. HOW DARE THEY!?

On another note... pro life advocates are potential terrorists? What? The people who DEFEND life, not take it? Really? Are they serious?

I immediately thought of this Scripture in Isaiah 5:20 : "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

I was just plain angry this morning.

THEN

I went to Psalm 37 which is the psalm I'm supposed to be blogging about this week and haven't done so yet... and my heart came to rest in God's Word. God's Word gave me peace.

vs 1-8

Fret not yourself because of evildoers; be not envious of wrongdoers!
For they will soon fade like the grass and wither like the green herb.
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfullness.
Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will act.
He will bring forth your righteousness as the light and your justice as the noonday.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him and fret not yourself over the one who prospers in His way, over the man who carries out evil devices!
Refrain from anger and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.

God brought me back to a remembrance of His sovereignty. The Lord is at hand. God is the God of history past, the God of history present and the God of history future. I was reminded that I must trust the Lord and do good. It does not serve my soul well nor glorify God to be fretful or angry. God will act. God will take care of all injustices. We must wait patiently for Him. To fret and be angry will only lead me into sin.

And then I remembered something else.. as I demand justice I must remember that if God gave me what I deserve I'd be hell-bound, but instead God chose me to be his child and Jesus came to live a righteous life, die an awful death, become sin for me, bear the wrath of God in my place and ROSE from the dead! He gave me a faith to believe in Him and grace to repent of my sins. He attributed the righteousness of Christ to me!!!! So when God, my Father, looks upon me He sees the righteousness of Christ !!!! WOW! I am humbled at the mercies of God!

God took care of my greatest need. He took care of your greatest need. He took care of the worst thing in the world, our separation from a good, just and holy God. Is He not also taking care of the unjust opinions toward my son and yours who went to war and is He not also caring for the unjust opinions of those who love life from conception? Of course, He is. We must be patient and be still before Him.

How kind of God to remind me to get on my knees and pray for my leaders, for kings and all those who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. (1 Tim 2:2). Let us pray for them to be saved! Let us pray God's mercy on them!

So.. after a time in God's Word my ruffled feathers are smoothed... and I am resting in God's peace and His sovereignty. When my feathers get ruffled again? Hopefully I will go to His Word quicker than I did today.

For the glory of God, I will end by repeating His Words to us:

Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfullness. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him. (Psalm 37:3,7)

yep, I'm preaching this to myself today.






1 comment:

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Thanks for the reminder...there is so much to be ruffled about...I needed to hear this as well! Love you so much! You have blessed me today! XO